Visit this story on examiner.com
By: Cheryl Hanna
Charles Loguidice, 48 of Freehold, N.J. has been charged with two counts of animal cruelty in the deaths of his two Rottweiler dogs on Sunday afternoon. The dogs were left unattended in their owner’s Dodge pickup truck at a Neptune restaurant for an hour. When Loguidice returned to his vehicle, both dogs had died.
Chief law enforcement officer Victor “Buddy” Amato of the Monmouth County Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals stated the inside temperature of the truck was over 100 degrees.
According to NJ.com, Loguidice told authorities he had left the air-conditioning on in the truck when he went into MJ’s Pizza Bar and Grill located at Route 66 in Neptune. He stated he was only in the restaurant for a half-hour, and the dogs must have stepped on the buttons and turned the defroster on instead.
The dogs named Maximus and Joey each weighed 100 pounds.
Officer Amato doubts it happened that way and surveillance videos show Loguidice was in the restaurant for nearly an hour.
Death from heatstroke to dogs is 100 percent preventable. Any summer day as the temperature and humidity rises above 90 degrees, it is dangerous for a dog. Their only way of cooling is through panting and sweating around their paws.
There has been no information if anyone else may have been in the parking lot to see the dogs locked in the truck. Heatstroke however is a medical emergency, and it an animal is to survive first-aid must be administered quickly after calling a veterinarian.
First aid can be administered by applying cool, water-soaked towels to the dog’s hairless areas to help bring the body temperature down. Often the dog may respond, but often he will falter again as his temperature rises or falls. Veterinarian care is imperative and therapy usually includes intravenous fluids and medication to try and reverse brain damage.
Sadly it was too late for Maximus and Joey. Officer Amato said there was no doubt Loguidice was extremely upset about his dogs, but it will be something he will have to live with for the rest of his life.
Read more about this very sad story by clicking here.